Sabado, Agosto 13, 2016

Career VS. Job



I thought job and career simply share the same meaning. Until I experienced burnout and wanted to get some enlightenment about my season. I'm in the season of actively seeking what's God has for me, that good plan He promised in Jeremiah 29:11. It's been 2 years since I graduated from college. When I had my job, I said to myself that I'll stay here for five years. But I'm afraid that it might end sooner than I expected. So here I am, caught in between tough decision and life goals setting.

Here are some questions I have in mind:

What's next after this? In what field should I want to excel? Should I take my Master's Degree when I don't know exactly what to master? Would my next job give glory to God? Would my next job require me to leave home? Am I ready to adulthood? Am I ready for major changes? Am I ready for bigger bills and more responsibilities of an adult? Would my future self thank me for what I will decide for the days to come? Wait!! Hold it.

Before I entertain more questions inside me that actively stealing my focus, let's define career and job first. I hope this post would help you as well.

Etymology: Career VS. Job

Job has no origin. But it was taken from a phrase "jobbe of worke" which latter means "piece of work" in 1620s.

Meanwhile, career is quite rich in history than job. It was derived from Latin word carrus which means wheeled vehicle, carriera in Italian then carrier in French. All these words collaboratively means course of working life;  a race that one must journey.

Looking at their etymology, career sounds a lot better than job. That explains why my professor in college told in class that we must choose a career that we would take in life. He used this word because career is more than a job, work or occupation. I can have a job, but not necessarily that I already have a career. I believe that career is the pursuit of lifelong journey of actively pressing on to win and finish the race. Just like what Paul mentioned in his letter to Corinthians that his goal in life is to finish the race and complete the task that Jesus gave to him. (See 1 Cor. 9:23-25)

Paul had a career and it was his journey towards fulfilling God's calling to his life. In such career, Paul also had a job and those are the tasks (pieces of work) that were assigned to him. Job, in my own description are the pieces of work that helps me fulfill my career (my race). Maybe my job is not the exact career I wanted, but it is essential to fulfill my career. By the way, job and career is not the END point, rather the journey. It is not the finish line. :)

0 comments:

Mag-post ng isang Komento